Local SEO is hitting the national mainstream. From Franchise Brands getting together at this summer's IFA Events on Digital Marketing to National Brands looking for guidance at this week's BIA Kelsey Event in Boston, the local search space is top of mind for CMOs. Integrated Digital Strategies (IDS) has seen this space evolve over the last 10 years and with social signals playing a part in the rankings of your location sites, it gets even more daunting and complex.
Here is the overal approach that single to multi-location businesses need to take to optimize for local searches
- Create a optimized local landing page on your core domain. It can be a subdomain as long as it is linked through a breadcrumb trail back to your core site.
- Geolocal content, well researched keywords, nap information on each page (name, address, phone), conversion focused design
- Optimize for mobile searchers as local and mobile are intertwined more than ever.
- Implement best practice on-site seo but more importantly, local seo, including kml, geositempas, schema.org, facebook open graph code, etc. (if you are using wordpress, check out this great new plugin: Local SEO Plugin for WordPress
- Submit to G+ Local as a verified local business, Yahoo, Bing, Yelp, Foursquare and local aggregators
- Set benchmark of current rankings and watch over the improved visibility over a 90+ day period
- Continue your link building and social media strategy to really boost your local search rankings
We do all of this for our local business clients to our 100+ multi-location businesses and franchise systems. Scalability + Local SEO Best Practices will prove to be the winning formula for optimial local seo results!
Check out the: Empower Your Franchise Brand E-Book, specifically where we talk about some basic steps that you as a franchisor / franchisee, multi-location/single location business can take to get you found and chosen on the local search engines. You can also read this recent write up from our friend Andrew Shotland and our partners at Yext.com.